Planning a sunny getaway? Here are a few tips on how to prepare for the spring and summer holidays – what to bring, how to pack, and what you can do to enjoy a stress-free vacation.
When it comes to travel essentials, every woman is different – but here are some top ideas to get you started.
Toiletries and Personal Care Items
Make a list of the items you can’t live without – this is especially important if you are brand loyal, and if your trip is an extended one.
Think of your daily routine from start to finish, and keep in mind the weather you may encounter at your final destination. Prepare for all eventualities.
- Pads, tampons, and other feminine hygiene products – bring enough for a full cycle
- Facial cleanser, eye make-up remover, toner, astringent – pack enough for each day of your trip, and a few more to accommodate warmer climates
- Night cream and daytime moisturizer
- Facial sunscreen, body sunscreen, and after sun gel – these items are overpriced in most hotel boutiques
- Q-tips and cotton pads
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss
- Eyeglasses, prescription sunglasses, or contact lenses – always bring a back-up pair!
- Lens case, contact lens solution, and eye drops – these can sometimes be hard to find
Hair and Make-up Essentials
You can relax and go low maintenance, but it’s nice to be able to dress up: a vacation is an adventure where you never know what you’re going to encounter – or whom you’re going to meet!
Bring the make-up you can’t live without, and a little extra.
- Lipstick and lip gloss
- Eye-shadow and waterproof eyeliner
- Foundation powder, concealer, blemish cover cream – you may decide against using these products at the beach, but it’s good to have them on hand
- Brow pencil or powder
- Waterproof mascara – for an instant pick-me-up
- Nail polish remover pads and nail polish – try Essie’s Cute as a Button
- Travel-size perfume
- Tweezers – a lifesaving tool
- Manicure kit with nail file and nail clippers
- Comb, hairbrush, conditioner, shampoo, hair gel, and anti-frizz cream – while these will be available pretty much wherever you travel, it’s always nice to have reliable hair care products you can trust
Practical Clothes and Frivolous Accessories
Bring items that complement one another, so that you can mix and match to create a variety of outfits suitable for different occasions.
Pashminas quickly take an outfit from day to night, and the right accessories can glam up simple dresses and pant suits.
- Light coat or rain jacket
- Sunhat and sunglasses
- At least one swimsuit
- Sarong, swimsuit cover-up, swimming goggles
- Sundress, little black dress
- Tank tops, t-shirt, dressy blouse
- Shorts, skirt, khaki pants or jeans for adventure treks
- Bras and panties
- Socks and a pair of pantyhose
- Purse that goes from day to night, small back pack for day trips, tote bag or beach bag
- Walking shoes or sneakers, flip-flops, and pretty beach footwear
Additional Useful Items for Travelers:
- Passport, travel documents/itinerary, notebook, pen
- Personal business cards to quickly exchange email addresses and phone numbers
- Camera, cell phone, iPod
- Prescription medications
- Vitamins and antihistamines, Tums, Beano or Gas-Ex, Pepcid AC, Imodium, Gravol
- Mosquito repellent
- Personal lubricant, condoms, birth control items
- Mini sewing kit, shoe wipes, small lint brush
- Bridal emergency kit if your beach getaway is actually a destination wedding
Want a printable packing list? We have you covered:
Now you’re packed and ready to go. Enjoy your holiday!